Ingress Terms of Service
Last Modified: October 22, 2015
Changes to Terms or Services We may modify these Terms at any time. If we do so, we’ll let you know either by posting the modified Terms on the Site or App or through other communications. It’s important that you review the Terms whenever we modify them because if you continue to use the Services after we have posted modified Terms on the Site or App, or otherwise communicate them to you, you are indicating to us that you agree to be bound by the modified Terms. If you don’t agree to be bound by the modified Terms, then you may not use the Services anymore. Because our Services evolve over time we may change or discontinue all or any part of the Services, at any time and without notice.
Who May Use the Services You may use the Services only if you are 13 years of age or older and capable of forming a binding contract and are not barred from using the Services under applicable law. If you want to use certain features of the Services you’ll have to create a Google account. We’ll create your account (“Account”) by extracting from your Google account your email address. You agree that you won’t disclose your Account password to anyone and you’ll notify us immediately of any unauthorized use of your Account involving our Services. You’re responsible for all activities that occur under your Account, whether or not you know about them.
Rights in App Subject to your compliance with these Terms, Niantic, grants you a limited nonexclusive, nontransferable, nonsublicenseable license to download and install a copy of the App on a mobile device and to run such copy of the App solely for your own personal noncommercial purposes. Except as expressly permitted in these Terms, you may not: (a) copy, modify, or create derivative works based on the App; (b) distribute, transfer, sublicense, lease, lend, or rent the App to any third party; (c) reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the App; or (d) make the functionality of the App available to multiple users through any means. Niantic reserves all rights in and to the App not expressly granted to you under these Terms.
Content and Content Rights For purposes of these Terms: (a) “Content” means the text, software, scripts, graphics, photos, sounds, music, videos, audiovisual combinations, interactive features, works of authorship of any kind, and information or other materials that are posted, generated, provided, or otherwise made available through the Services; and (b) “User Content” means any Content that Account holders (including you) provide to be made available through the Services. Content includes without limitation User Content.
Subject to your compliance with these Terms, Niantic grants you a personal, noncommercial, nonexclusive, nontransferable, nonsublicensable, revocable license to download, view, display, and use the Content solely in connection with your permitted use of the Services.
Content Ownership Niantic does not claim any ownership rights in any User Content and nothing in these Terms will be deemed to restrict any rights that you may have to use and exploit your User Content. Subject to the foregoing, Niantic and its licensors exclusively own all right, title, and interest in and to the Services and Content, including all associated intellectual property rights. You acknowledge that the Services and Content are protected by copyright, trademark, and other laws of the United States and foreign countries. You agree not to remove, alter, or obscure any copyright, trademark, service mark, or other proprietary rights notices incorporated in or accompanying the Services or Content.
Rights Granted by You By making any User Content available through Services you grant to Niantic a nonexclusive, transferable, sublicenseable, worldwide, royalty-free license to use, copy, modify, create derivative works based upon, distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, and distribute your User Content in connection with operating and providing the Services and Content to you and to other Account holders.
You are solely responsible for all your User Content. You represent and warrant that you own all your User Content or you have all rights that are necessary to grant us the license rights in your User Content under these Terms. You also represent and warrant that neither your User Content, nor your use and provision of your User Content to be made available through the Services, nor any use of your User Content by Niantic on or through the Services will infringe, misappropriate or violate a third party’s intellectual property rights, or rights of publicity or privacy, or result in the violation of any applicable law or regulation.
Virtual Money and Virtual Goods If you are 18 years of age or older, you may purchase Chaotic Matter Units and any other virtual currencies offered through the App (“Virtual Money”) and use that Virtual Money to purchase virtual items or services that we expressly make available for use in the App (“Virtual Goods”).
Purchases of Virtual Money and Virtual Goods Virtual Money is a category of Content so the purchase of Virtual Money provides only a limited, nontransferable, nonsublicensable, revocable license to use such Virtual Money to access and purchase Virtual Goods for your personal, non-commercial use of the Services. You acknowledge that you do not acquire any ownership rights in or to the Virtual Money, Virtual Goods, or other Content; any balance of Virtual Goods or Virtual Money does not reflect any stored value. You agree that Virtual Money and Virtual Goods have no monetary value and do not constitute currency or property of any type. Virtual Money may be redeemed only for Virtual Goods and can never be sold, transferred, or exchanged for “real” money, “real” goods, or “real” services from us or anyone else. You also agree that you will only obtain Virtual Money and/or Virtual Goods from us and through means provided by us, and not from any third party unless expressly authorized. Once you acquire a license to Virtual Money or Virtual Goods, you may not transfer the Content to another individual or account. We may cancel any Virtual Money or Virtual Goods sold, transferred, or exchanged in violation of these Terms. Any such sale, transfer, or exchange (or attempt to do so) is prohibited and may result in the termination of your Account.
During the term of your license to your Virtual Money, you have the right to redeem your Virtual Money for selected Virtual Goods. Pricing and availability of Virtual Money and Virtual Goods are subject to change without notice. We reserve the right at any time to change and update our pricing and inventory of Virtual Money and Virtual Goods. As set forth below, all Virtual Money, Virtual Goods, and other Content is provided “as is,” without any warranty. You agree that all sales by us to you of Virtual Money and Virtual Goods are final and that we will not permit exchanges or refunds for any unused Virtual Money or Virtual Goods once the transaction has been made.
Purchases by End Users Outside the U.S. Virtual Money and Virtual Goods may only be purchased and held by legal residents of countries where access to and use of the Services are permitted. If you live in the European Union, you have certain rights to withdraw from online purchases. However, please note that once you download Virtual Money from us, your right of withdrawal ends. You agree that (a) purchase of Virtual Money involves immediate download of such Content; and (b) you lose your right of withdrawal once your purchase is complete. If you live in the European Union, we will provide you with a VAT invoice when we are required to do so by law. You agree that these invoices may be electronic in format. We reserve the right to control, regulate, change, or remove any Virtual Money or Virtual Goods without any liability to you.
Termination of Account or Services We may cancel, suspend, or terminate your Account and your access to your Virtual Money, your Virtual Goods, or the Services, in our sole discretion and without prior notice, including if (a) your Account is inactive (i.e., not used or logged-into) for one year; (b) you fail to comply with these Terms; (c) we suspect fraud or misuse by you of Virtual Money, Virtual Goods, or other Content; or (d) we suspect any other unlawful activity associated with your Account. We have no obligation or responsibility to, and will not reimburse or refund, you for any Virtual Money or Virtual Goods lost due to such cancellation, suspension, or termination. You acknowledge that Niantic is not required to provide a refund for any reason, and that you will not receive money or other compensation for unused Virtual Money and Virtual Goods when your Account is closed, whether such closure was voluntary or involuntary.
We have the right to offer, modify, eliminate, and/or terminate Virtual Money, Virtual Goods, the Content, and/or the Services, or any portion thereof, at any time, without notice or liability to you. If we discontinue the use of Virtual Money or Virtual Goods, we will provide at least 60 days advance notice to you by posting a notice on the Site or App or through other communications.
Conduct, General Prohibitions, and Niantic’s Enforcement Rights You agree that you are responsible for your own conduct and User Content while using the Services, and for any consequences thereof. Please refer to our Community Guidelines for information about the kinds of conduct and User Content that are prohibited while using the Services. By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree that when using the Services and Content, you will not:
- defame, abuse, harass, harm, stalk, threaten, or otherwise violate the legal rights (including the rights of privacy and publicity) of others;
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any unlawful, inappropriate, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, vulgar, offensive, fraudulent, false, misleading, or deceptive Content or message;
- promote or engage in discrimination, bigotry, racism, hatred, or harassment against any individual or group;
- trespass, or in any manner attempt to gain or gain access to any property or location where you do not have a right or permission to be;
- violate, or encourage any conduct that would violate, any applicable law or regulation or would give rise to civil liability;
- upload, post, or otherwise make available commercial messages or advertisements, pyramid schemes, or other disruptive notices;
- impersonate or misrepresent your affiliation with another person or entity;
- promote or provide instructional information about illegal or harmful activities or substances;
- promote or engage in physical harm, violence, or injury against any group or individual;
- transmit any viruses, worms, defects, Trojan horses, or any items of a destructive nature; or
- submit fake, falsified, misleading, or inappropriate data submissions, edits, or removals.
In addition, you agree not to do any of the following:
- post, upload, publish, submit or transmit any Content that infringes, misappropriates, or violates a third party’s patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, moral rights, or other intellectual property rights, or rights of publicity or privacy;
- use, display, mirror, or frame the Services or any individual element within the Services, Niantic’s name, any Niantic trademark, logo, or other proprietary information, or the layout and design of any page or form contained on a page, without Niantic’s express written consent;
- access, tamper with, or use nonpublic areas of the Services, Niantic’s computer systems, or the technical delivery systems of Niantic’s providers;
- attempt to probe, scan, or test the vulnerability of any Niantic system or network or breach any security or authentication measures;
- avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate, impair, descramble, or otherwise circumvent any technological measure implemented by Niantic or any of Niantic’s providers or any other third party (including another user) to protect the Services or Content;
- attempt to access or search the Services or Content or download Content from the Services through the use of any technology or means other than those provided by Niantic or other generally available third party web browsers (including without limitation automation software, bots, spiders, crawlers, data mining tools, or hacks, tools, agents, engines, or devices of any kind);
- extract, scrape, or index the Services or Content (including information about users or game play);
- use any meta tags or other hidden text or metadata utilizing a Niantic trademark, logo, URL, or product name without Niantic’s express written consent;
- forge any TCP/IP packet header or any part of the header information in any email or newsgroup posting, or in any way use the Services or Content to send altered, deceptive, or false sourceidentifying information;
- attempt to decipher, decompile, disassemble, or reverse engineer any of the software used to provide the Services or Content;
- interfere with, or attempt to interfere with, the access of any user, host, or network, including, without limitation, sending a virus, overloading, flooding, spamming, or mailbombing the Services;
- delete, obscure, or in any manner alter any attribution, warning, or link that appears in the Services or the Content;
- use the Services or Content, or any portion thereof, for any commercial purpose or for the benefit of any third party or in an manner not permitted by these Terms, including but not limited to (i) gathering inApp items or resources for sale outside the App, (ii) performing services in the App in exchange for payment outside the App, or (iii) sell, resell, rent, or lease the App or your Account;
- collect or store any personally identifiable information from the Services from other users of the Services without their express permission;
- violate any applicable law or regulation; or
- encourage or enable any other individual to do any of the foregoing.
Although we’re not obligated to monitor access to or use of the Services or Content or to review or edit any Content, we have the right to do so for the purpose of operating the Services, to ensure compliance with these Terms, and to comply with applicable law or other legal requirements. We reserve the right, but are not obligated, to remove or disable access to any Content, at any time and without notice, including, but not limited to, if we, at our sole discretion, consider any Content to be objectionable or in violation of these Terms. We have the right to investigate violations of these Terms or conduct that affects the Services. We may also consult and cooperate with law enforcement authorities to prosecute users who violate the law.
Feedback We welcome feedback, comments, and suggestions for improvements to the Services (“Feedback”). You can submit Feedback by reaching out to us on Facebook, Twitter, or Google+. You grant to us a nonexclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, fullypaid, royaltyfree, sublicensable, and transferable license under any and all intellectual property rights that you own or control to use, copy, modify, create derivative works based upon and otherwise exploit the Feedback for any purpose.
DMCA/Copyright Policy Niantic respects copyright law and expects its users to do the same. It is Niantic’s policy to terminate in appropriate circumstances Account holders who repeatedly infringe or are believed to be repeatedly infringing the rights of copyright holders. Please see Niantic’s Copyright Policy for further information.
Links to Third Party Websites or Resources The Services and App may contain links to third party websites or resources. We provide these links only as a convenience and are not responsible for the content, products, or services on or available from those websites or resources or links displayed on such websites. You acknowledge sole responsibility for and assume all risk arising from, your use of any third party websites or resources.
Termination We may terminate your access to and use of the Services, at our sole discretion, at any time and without notice to you. You may cancel your Account at any time by accessing the Ingress Help Center. Upon any termination, discontinuation, or cancellation of Services or your Account, the following provisions of these Terms will survive: Content Ownership, Rights Granted by You, Disclaimer of Warranties, Indemnity, Limitation of Liability, Dispute Resolution, General Terms and this sentence of Termination.
Disclaimer of Warranties THE SERVICES AND CONTENT ARE PROVIDED “AS IS,” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, WE EXPLICITLY DISCLAIM ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, QUIET ENJOYMENT, OR NONINFRINGEMENT, AND ANY WARRANTIES ARISING OUT OF COURSE OF DEALING OR USAGE OF TRADE. We make no warranty that the Services will meet your requirements or be available on an uninterrupted, secure, or errorfree basis. We make no warranty regarding the quality, accuracy, timeliness, truthfulness, completeness or reliability of any Content.
YOU ASSUME ALL RISKS RELATING TO YOUR ONLINE OR OFFLINE COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERACTIONS WITH OTHER USERS OF THE SERVICES AND WITH OTHER PERSONS WITH WHOM YOU COMMUNICATED OR INTERACT AS A RESULT OF YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES. YOU UNDERSTAND THAT NIANTIC DOES NOT SCREEN OR INQUIRE INTO THE BACKGROUND OF ANY USERS OF THE SERVICES. NIANTIC MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES AS TO THE CONDUCT OF USERS OF THE SERVICES. YOU AGREE TO TAKE REASONABLE PRECAUTIONS IN ALL COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERACTIONS WITH OTHER USERS OF THE SERVICES AND WITH OTHER PERSONS WITH WHOM YOU COMMUNICATE OR INTERACT AS A RESULT OF YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES, PARTICULARLY IF YOU DECIDE TO MEET OFFLINE OR IN PERSON.
Limitation of Liability NEITHER NIANTIC OR ANY OTHER PARTY INVOLVED IN CREATING, PRODUCING, OR DELIVERING THE SERVICES OR CONTENT WILL BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING LOST PROFITS, LOSS OF DATA OR GOODWILL, SERVICE INTERRUPTION, COMPUTER DAMAGE OR SYSTEM FAILURE OR THE COST OF SUBSTITUTE SERVICES, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THESE TERMS, OR FROM THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICES OR CONTENT, OR FROM ANY COMMUNICATIONS, INTERACTIONS, OR MEETINGS WITH OTHER USERS OF THE SERVICES OR PERSONS WITH WHOM YOU COMMUNICATE OR INTERACT AS A RESULT OF YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), PRODUCT LIABILITY, OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND WHETHER OR NOT NIANTIC HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, EVEN IF A LIMITED REMEDY SET FORTH HEREIN IS FOUND TO HAVE FAILED OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, SO THE FOREGOING LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL APPLY TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW IN THE APPLICABLE JURISDICTION.
IN NO EVENT WILL NIANTIC’S TOTAL LIABILITY ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THESE TERMS OR FROM THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICES OR CONTENT EXCEED ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS ($1000). THE EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS OF DAMAGES SET FORTH ABOVE ARE FUNDAMENTAL ELEMENTS OF THE BASIS OF THE BARGAIN BETWEEN NIANTIC AND YOU.
General Terms These Terms and any action related thereto will be governed by the laws of the State of California without regard to its conflict of laws provisions. These Terms constitute the entire and exclusive understanding and agreement between Niantic and you regarding the Services and Content, and these Terms supersede and replace any and all prior oral or written understandings or agreements between Niantic and you regarding the Services and Content. If any provision of these Terms is held invalid or unenforceable, that provision will be enforced to the maximum extent permissible and the other provisions of these Terms will remain in full force and effect. You may not assign or transfer these Terms, by operation of law or otherwise, without Niantic’s prior written consent. Any attempt by you to assign or transfer these Terms, without such consent, will be null. Niantic may freely assign or transfer these Terms without restriction. Subject to the foregoing, these Terms will bind and inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors and permitted assigns.
Any notices or other communications provided by Niantic under these Terms, including those regarding modifications to these Terms, will be given: (a) via email; or (b) by posting to the Services. For notices made by email, the date of receipt will be deemed the date on which such notice is transmitted.
Niantic’s failure to enforce any right or provision of these Terms will not be considered a waiver of such right or provision. The waiver of any such right or provision will be effective only if in writing and signed by a duly authorized representative of Niantic. Except as expressly set forth in these Terms, the exercise by either party of any of its remedies under these Terms will be without prejudice to its other remedies under these Terms or otherwise.
Contact Information If you have any questions about these Terms or the Services, please contact Niantic at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1 Ferry Building Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94111.